Saturday, May 10, 2014

Wishing You Happy Mother's Day!

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day.

Mothers all over the country will be celebrated with cards and flowers, gifts and lunches.  

Why do I feel like this is somehow backwards?  I have three children; Steve, Mark and Beverly.  They are all upstanding citizens who love their children and honor me all year long.  Isn't that to be celebrated? 

My mother made her own Mother’s Day dinner every year.  We all went home.  I don’t remember there being any gifts.  The only physical concession to the day was wearing the rose to church; a red one if your mother was living, a white one if she had passed on.  While I can’t pretend to know what she was thinking, I don’t believe she felt the least bit uncelebrated when we devoured the meal she made and gathered around the piano to sing her favorite hymns before we left.  We devoured the meal because she was the best cook in the world; we sang the songs not because we wanted to (truth be told, we were all eager to be on our way) – but because we knew it was the moment she waited for and we wanted her to be happy.  I believe she was feeling fulfilled. 

That’s how I feel – fulfilled. 

I hope your Mother’s Day tomorrow is everything you want it to be.  If you’re wondering what Mom wants for Mother’s Day, just let her know you’re thinking about her – tell her in person, over the internet, or through a phone call.  Just let her know you’re thinking of her.  That’s all she wants.  I know.  Because I am a mother.  

No comments:

Post a Comment